World Languages M.A. (WLMA)

banner-Main Content Image

The Degree

The Master of Arts in World Languages combines a graduate master’s degree with licensure to teach in the public schools. Students with the requisite background will be able to teach one or two foreign languages at the secondary level, or a foreign language and another high school subject such as History, Geography, or Math. The program actively seeks to license teachers for the critical languages language (Arabic, Chinese, Hindi/Urdu, Japanese, Korean, Persian/Farsi, and Russian). Students in the program, and in particular those seeking certification in a critical language, will be strongly encouraged to participate in an intensive language study abroad program.


The purpose of the MA programis two-fold: first, to offer a graduate degree in foreign language teaching that equips candidates with excellent foreign language and pedagogy skills, and with solid subject matter knowledge; and second, to produce public school teachers who are able to teach one or two foreign languages, and in particular critical languages, or a foreign language and a high school subject.

Participating Programs

  • Department of World Languages and Cultures
  • Department of Linguistics
  • College of Education


National accreditation of the UITE teacher education program (licensure grantor) through TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)

Entry Requirements

The MA in World Languages with Secondary Teaching Licensure is designed for students who have one of the following:

  • BA in a foreign language: Classics, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, or Spanish
  • BA in area studies: Asian, International, Latin American, Middle Eastern
  • BA in a subject taught in Utah secondary schools, and proficiency in a foreign language
  • BA in ESL/TESOL, and proficiency in a foreign language
  • MA in World Languages or Linguistics, and are interested in teaching in the public schools

For further information, please contact the Department of World Languages and Cultures or Prof. Thérèse De Raedt

To learn about the requirements for secondary licensure, access the information from the Urban Institute for Teacher Education in the College of Education.

ATTENTION: WLMA Students seeking a TAship during their licensure semester should consult with their advisor.

View the Course of Study, click here.

Last Updated: 9/13/16