- Anyone wishing to take a language class who had language instruction in the last 5 years (unless they have stayed on track in a language class sequence).
- Any student desiring accurate language class placement.
- Undergraduate students who want to prove language proficiency in order to purchase credits to fulfill the BA Language Requirement.
- Graduate students who need to prove language proficiency for Graduate Language Verification.
Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese (simplified), Japanese, and Arabic.
University of Utah, Department of World Languages & Cultures
Language & Communication Building (LNCO) 1400
Monday – Friday, 9:00am - 3:00pm
Placement tests are $20 for incoming or current U of U students.
If you are not a U of U student, the placement test fee is $30. If you are taking the placement test for another institution, we cannot guarantee they will accept the results.
We can accept CASH or CHECK only.
- Students must present a valid photo ID and must know their U ID number.
- The placement test may be taken twice per calendar year - once prior to July 1, once after July 1.
- Students who take the placement test after February 1, 2013, have one year from the test date to purchase credit.
How long is the test? The placement test is untimed. Most students take between 1-1.5 hours to complete the test.
What is on the test? Test content varies by language. Most languages assess reading comprehension, reading grammar, and written and oral ability.
How will I receive my results? Test results are sent to the student’s UMail address.
How long will it take to receive my results? Test results are usually sent within a week of the test date.
Do I need an appointment? No, placement tests are available on a walk-in basis between the hours of 9am and 3pm.
How do I purchase credit with my test score? Please refer to this page for more information.Where is the nearest ATM? Wells Fargo, UFCU, and Mountain America CU have ATMs in the Union building.