Language Placement Testing
attention - placement test
The WLC Department is now offering virtual language placement testing for students
who would like to be placed into the appropriate language class for Summer or Fall
2020 semesters, or who would like to purchase lower-division language credits.
Instructions for Students:
- In order to take a virtual language placement test, please follow the steps below:
- Verify that you need to take the placement test, and read “Information & FAQs About Language Placement Testing” below.
- Verify that you have audio capability and microphone capability on your computer for when you take the test (the test includes listening to speech as well as recording your own speech). You will not be able to use your phone to take the placement test. Make sure you have your ID with you when you enter the appointment.
- Purchase the language test online for $25 by clicking here.
- Schedule a VIDEO appointment with Dalila Munoz. (A phone appointment is not acceptable).
- Specify the language you need and the reason you need the test when you schedule the appointment.
- Follow the instructions in the confirmation email to join the appointment at the correct date and time.
Information and FAQs About Language Placement Testing
- Any student desiring accurate language class placement.
- Undergraduate students who want to prove language proficiency in order to purchase credits to fulfill the BA Language Requirement.
- Graduate students who need to prove language proficiency for Graduate Language Verification.
- Students who have taken a World Language AP Exam can register for the following courses
without taking a placement test:
- AP Score of 4 or 5: register for the first 3000-level language course
- AP Score of 3: register for 2020
- AP Score of 1 or 2: please take the WLC Placement Test
- Students who self-identify as a heritage speaker of the language, or have otherwise had 1.5+ years of extensive experience in the target language environment can register for 3060 without taking a placement test
Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese (simplified), Japanese, and Arabic.
University of Utah, Department of World Languages & Cultures
While the office is closed due to COVID-19, virtual placement tests are available. Please follow the instructions at the top of this webpage.
Language & Communication Building (LNCO) 1400
Check in at the front desk when you arrive.
Monday – Friday, 9:30am - 3:00pm
Placement tests are $25 for all test takers.
We accept CASH, CHECK & CARD.
- Students must present a valid photo ID and must know their U ID number if applicable.
- The placement test may be taken once every 4 months.
How long is the test?
The placement test is untimed. Most students take between 1-1.5 hours to complete the test. If you do not have enough time to finish the test in one sitting, you may pause the test and return later to complete it.
What languages are available?
- For placement into Russian, contact Natalya Kuznetsova at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For placement into Korean, contact Hyesun Kim at email@example.com
- For placement into Portuguese, contact Anna Hodgson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For placement into any other language, please email email@example.com
What is on the test?
Test content varies by language. Most languages assess reading comprehension, reading grammar, and written and oral ability.
What is the format of the test?
The test is administered on a computer in one of our language labs. You will first complete a brief language background questionnaire then move on to the language assessment portions of the test.
Do I need an appointment?
Yes, schedule a VIDEO appointment with Dalila Munoz at this link.
How will I receive my results?
Test results are sent to the student’s UMail address.
How do I purchase credit with my test score?
Refer to this page for more information
Where is the nearest ATM?
Wells Fargo, UFCU, and Mountain America CU have ATMs in the Union building.
Where can I take the test?
While the office is closed due to COVID-19, virtual placement tests are available. Please follow the instructions at the top of this webpage
How long will it take to receive my results?
Test results are usually sent within two weeks of the test date. Please make sure to check your Umail address (not your personal email address) and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not received your results within two weeks.
Should I study for the test?
In order to have your language level accurately assessed, you should not study for the test.
What should I do if I think I've been placed into the wrong level?
Please register for and attend the class level you were placed into. If this is the wrong level, talk to your class instructor to be switched to another class within the first two weeks of the semester.