Skip to content

Associate Instructor Handbook


You will be given a unique University of Utah Identification Number (UNID). You will use your UNID for everything you need access to at the University of Utah. Once you have been set up in the system, you will need to remember the format. Your UNID will look like 01234567, but to login to certain operations such as the Campus Information System (CIS), the letter “u” will replace the first digit—u1234567

Campus Information System(CIS) is where you will login to access relevant employment and course information at . You can always find the CIS link from the University’s main page.

*When using CIS for the first time you will log in using your uNID and a default password.

Password: The first time you sign in, you will use your default password which is your birthdate in the format of mmddyy or mmdd.

If the 6 digit format does not work, try the 4 digit format. As soon as you enter your password and click the "Go" button, you should see the "Change Password" screen.

Your password must be at least 8 characters or more. Your new password may not match the first 8 characters of your previous 6 passwords.

For security purposes, your password is required to have three of these four elements in the first 8 characters:

1. a number

2. a symbol, such as $, &, @, %, _, *

3. a lowercase letter

4. a capital letter

Two-factor authentication (2FA) provides an extra layer of security by requiring a user to log in with a username/password combo plus a second method of verifying the user's identity. The second method is something the user has physical access to, like a cell phone or tablet. This ensures that even if a hacker manages to obtain a user's login credentials, the information is useless without access to the user's secondary device.

University employees are required to use 2FA when logging in to use certain online U applications and IT systems. The university's current 2FA solution is Duo Security.

Duo offers three methods of authentication:

1. The Duo server “pushes” a confirmation to a smartphone/tablet app. The user must then tap “approve” or “deny.”

2. A unique six-digit code is generated through an app on a smartphone or tablet (network connectivity is not required).

3. A unique six-digit code is generated by pressing the green button on the hardware token.

To add the app to your smartphone, please download the free Duo Security app from your service provider’s App store. Please see the Duo management website for all troubleshooting questions:

All new employees must provide appropriate documentation to verify identity and employment eligibility. If you completed an I-9 within the last three years as an employee at the University of Utah, you might not need to complete a new one.

As a new A.I., you must bring in documentation as proof that you’re eligible to work in the United States. You must physically bring in certain documents to the department office or H.R. representative, where you will digitally sign in person the I-9 form. If you are outside Utah, arrangements can be made with other partnering institutions or U.S. Embassy.

Typically, the most common documents are:

U.S. Passport
Driver’s License AND Social Security Card.

Other acceptable documents can be found here:

If you are an American citizen, you must have a social security number, or you will not be able to be employed at the University of Utah. You may apply for one at the local social security office, which generally takes several weeks to receive a card. A Social Security card marked VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION means that the alien to whom it was issued was authorized only for temporary employment in the U.S., and appropriate List A documentation must be provided.

You have a University email account that you must use for University of Utah communication. Your UMAIL address is (i.e., Your UMail account is accessible anytime through CIS. UMail is accessed with the same uNID and password used to log on to Campus Information Services (CIS). You can set up your UMail to be forwarded to your personal email account, but all student contact should be done with your Umail account.

Your UMail alias(es) is the personalized form of your default UMail address ( You are encouraged to customize this default address. Valid aliases are based on your name and should be in the format Middle names, initials, or nickname.lastname are also acceptable (e.g., j.doe@ or John.R.Doe).

  1. Log on to uNID Account Tools
  2. Under Set New Alias, enter your desired alias address.
  3. Checkbox to make this alias your primary UMail address.
  4. Click Create New Umail Alias.

UMail aliases can be activated or disabled in the uNID Account Tools. While you may enable or disable any alias you already have, you can only create a new one if you have three or fewer aliases.

Please note that it is extremely important to use Umail instead of a personal email address in your University of Utah communications. Umail is FERPA compliant, so you may communicate personal academic record information to students if you use your Umail account to their Umail account.

The University of Utah requires you to set your paycheck up as a direct deposit. Failing to do so may require you to physically come to the University with photo identification to retrieve your check. The University does not mail checks. You should do this within three days of your hiring.

You must complete your W4 (tax withholding information) form – failing to do so will mean the maximum amount of taxes will be removed from your paycheck).

To set up your Direct Deposit/W4

  1. Log in to CIS:
  2. Go to Employee Section and select “Payroll, Taxes, and Salary
  3. Click on Direct Deposit

This option will let you set up a new account, change your direct deposit information, and delete statements. How to set up direct deposit into your bank account ( )

  1. If you are setting up a direct deposit for the first time, click Add Account.
  2. Select either Checking or Savings account.
  3. In the Deposit Type box, you will need to select Balance. (Know that if you try to choose anything else, it will automatically change to balance).
    1. Balance means everything that is left after any other priorities are taken out, so in the case of only one account with no other priorities, it would mean the entire net pay.
  4. You will NOT need to put anything in the Amount/Percentage box for the balance row.
  5. Enter the bank transit/routing number.
  6. Enter your account number. (DO NOT include dashes or names. Put in digits only)
  7. Your Deposit Order number for your Balance row must be 999.
  8. Click the Submit button

W4 - Tax Information
The number you report on a W-4 will ultimately determine your take-home pay and your tax refund. Don’t write down any number. Take the few extra minutes to really assess your situation and fill in the W-4 accordingly. By doing so you’re less likely to find yourself in a difficult financial situation.

Steps to Filling out a W-4:

  1. Know the number of personal and dependency exemptions you are claiming on your tax return.
  2. Based on the number from step 1, use that number to help determine your number of Allowances.
  3. In CIS, click on “Payroll, Taxes, and Salary” app and select W4- Tax Information.

The allowances you should claim while filling out a W-4 if you are single will differ from the allowances you claim if you are married, have kids or whatever the case may be.

Claiming Zero Allowances

  • The maximum amount of taxes is withheld. Meaning, when it comes time to file your tax return you will most likely receive a refund.
  • If you are claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return, you should claim zero allowances.
  • Claiming zero allowances means less take-home pay, but a bigger tax refund during tax season.

Claiming One Allowance (best option if you are single with one job)

  • If you are single and have one job, claiming one allowance will most likely result in a refund when you file your taxes.

Claiming Two Allowances

  • If you are single, claiming two allowances will get you close to your tax liability but may result in tax due when filing your taxes.
  • If you are single and work more than one job, you can claim one allowance at each job or two allowances at one job and zero at the other.
  • If you are married, you should claim two allowances

Claiming Three Allowances

  • If you are married and have one child, you should claim three allowances.

Additional Allowances

  • If you file as head of household you can claim additional allowances
  • If you had at least $1,900 of child or dependent care expenses that you plan on claiming credit
  • If you are eligible to claim the Child Tax Credit

Changes to a W-4 Form?
Employees can submit a new W-4 form at any time during their employment. If you recently got a second job, had a baby, marriage, divorce then you will want to change your W-4 withholding.

W2 - Tax Forms
Your Form W-2 is a summary of the taxable earnings received in a calendar year. When you are ready to file your year yearly income taxes, even if you have departed the U, you will still log in to CIS to print off your W2 form. The University does NOT mail out your W2 form.


  1. Sign on to CIS
  2. In the Employee section, click on the “Payroll, Taxes and Salary” link.
  3. Click “View W-2/W-2c Forms” and you will have access to your W-2’s.

Former Employees – Your Electronic W-2 will be available by logging into CIS, in the “Affiliate” section, click the “Payroll, Taxes and Salary” link, Click on the “View W-2/W-2c Forms” hyperlink. Allow two weeks from separation date from University to allow for posting. If you have questions regarding your W2, contact the U’s Tax Services office at 801.581.3428.

To access class rolls and enter grades, you must be FERPA Certified. FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act law, which you as an instructor are required to be compliant. The following are common information that you as an instructor must insure are kept private:

  • Grades and Transcripts
  • Student information displayed on a computer screen
  • Student schedules
  • Class assignments
  • Class rosters
  • Any electronic or paper document with the student's ID or grade(s) on it

You must take the online training ( ) to be FERPA certified. Completion of the FERPA Review ensures your access to student information including class rosters, e-grading, CANVAS, via CIS.

Please note that it is extremely important to use Umail instead of a personal email address in your University of Utah communications, as Umail is FERPA compliant. 

ID cards can be acquired at the UCard Office located in the A. Ray Olpin Student Union Building (Room #158), please have photo identification available to pick one up. Associate Instructors are not required to obtain a University identification card but you might find it helpful as an instructor.

As an instructor you can use your ID Card for library privileges, door and building access, upload cash to use at campus dining venues, and as a bus pass.

You can upload your photo or money to your card, as well as get more information at: . If you lose your ID Card or want an updated one, you are solely responsible for the cost of a new card.

Parking at the University can be difficult and expensive; The University does NOT provide free parking to instructors. All University parking requires a permit in designated lots identified as A, U, and E lots. The more central the parking lot (i.e. near LNCO) the more expensive (“A” lots) the permit. Visitor lots require hourly payment made at an adjacent kiosk, and you will need to have your license plate number to purchase a permit. Please see the campus map for all parking lot designations:

Parking enforcement is stridently monitored, and parking stalls near your classroom building, especially in the morning, can be sparse. Also, events on campus, such as football games, may cause certain lots to close.

A parking permit can be ordered online at:

Students & Enrollment 

Canvas is the learning management system (LMS) used by the World Languages and Cultures Department and broadly at the University of Utah. You will use Canvas to manage your courses outside the classroom. Specifically, Canvas should be used for:

  • Communicating with your entire class at once (via Announcements or Messaging)
  • Communicating with an individual or group of students
  • Grading
  • Maintaining the class schedule
  • Giving students access to the class syllabus
  • Homework assignments (can be turned in on Canvas or on paper)
  • Quizzes and tests (can be administered on Canvas or on paper in class)
  • Etc. 

To access your Canvas course, log into CIS at and find the “Canvas Login” tile. On the left-side menu, you can change your Canvas account settings (Account), access your Dashboard (which can be customized to show only the classes you want), see a list of all your past and present classes (Courses), and access your Canvas inbox (Inbox). 

To get to a specific class’s Canvas site, click on the course in your Dashboard or on your list of courses. Please consider familiarizing yourself with Canvas’s functions and set up your class in Canvas before the first day of instruction. Students are used to using Canvas and will appreciate it if you show some capability with it. At the very least, students will be looking for the syllabus, schedule, assignments, and grades to be posted on Canvas. 

For instructions on cross-listing Canvas section pages, click here.

University of Utah Policies & Syllabi Required Content

Collected by A.M. Christensen - Fall 2018 - UPDATED 12-10-2019

These four items are required on all syllabi:

The Americans with Disabilities Act. The University of Utah seeks to provide equal access to itsprograms, services, and activities for people with disabilities. If you will need accommodations in this class, reasonable prior notice needs to be given to the Center for Disability Services, 162 Olpin Union Building, 801-581-5020. CDS will work with you and the instructor to make arrangements for accommodations. All written information in this course can be made available in an alternative format with prior notification to the Center for Disability Services.

Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator. Sherrie Hayashi, Title IX Coordinator; (801) 581-8365; fax (801) 585-5745;; Room 112, Building 73.

Safety Statement. “The University of Utah values the safety of all campus community members.To report suspicious activity or to request a courtesy escort, call campus police at 801-585-COPS (801-585-2677). You will receive important emergency alerts and safety messages regarding campus safety via text message. For more information regarding safety and to view available training resources, including helpful videos,”

Diversity & Equity Statement. The Department of World Languages and Cultures values students from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We fully endorse university policies prohibiting sexual harassment as well as discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, immigration status, color, disability, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or socio-economic status. It is our intent that the diversity that students bring to this class be viewed as a resource, strength and benefit. To that end, we expect that all students treat each other with dignity and respect.

Strongly Recommended Content:

Addressing Sexual Misconduct. Title IX makes it clear that violence and harassment based on sexand gender (which includes sexual orientation and gender identity/expression) is a civil rights offense subject to the same kinds of accountability and the same kinds of support applied to offenses against other protected categories such as race, national origin, color, religion, age, status as a person with a disability, veteran’s status or genetic information. If you or someone you know has been harassed or assaulted, you are encouraged to report it to the Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 135 Park Building, 801-581-8365, or the Office of the Dean of Students, 270 Union Building, 801-581-7066. For support and confidential consultation, contact the Center for Student Wellness, 426 SSB, 801-581-7776. To report to the police, contact the Department of Public Safety, 801-585-2677(COPS).

Student Names & Personal Pronouns. Class rosters are provided to the instructor with thestudent’s legal name as well as “Preferred first name” (if previously entered by you in the Student Profile section of your CIS account). While CIS refers to this as merely a preference, I will honor you by referring to you with the name and pronoun that feels best for you in class, on papers, exams, group projects, etc. Please advise me of any name or pronoun changes (and update CIS) so I can help create a learning environment in which you, your name, and your pronoun will be respected. If you need assistance getting your preferred name on your UIDcard, please visit the LGBT Resource Center Room 409 in the Olpin Union Building, or email to schedule a time to drop by. The LGBT Resource Center hours are M-F 8am-5pm, and 8am-6pm on Tuesdays.

Plagiarism Software Policy, (if you elect to use vel sim). I have elected to use aplagiarism detection service in this course, in which case you will be required to submit your paper to such a service as part of your assignment.

Suggested Content:

  • Drop/Add - Policy 6-100.III.G.5
  • Student Code - Policy 6-400(
    • Section III - Student Behavior - disruption, harassment, etc. 
    • Section IV - Student Academic Performance - cheating, plagiarism, etc.
  • Accommodations(
  • Attendance: students who must be absent from class for University activities or religious obligations are permitted to make up assignments and examinations.
  • Content: modifications of otherwise applicable reading, writing, viewing or performing requirements – are subject to the discretion of the instructor; instructors may deny accommodation requests as long as the subject course requirement has a reasonable relationship to a legitimate pedagogical goal. Instructors may grant content accommodation requests after considering the difficulty of administering an accommodation; the burden on the student’s sincerely-held beliefs; the importance of the particular requirement to the course; and only if there is a reasonable alternative means of satisfying the curricular objective. Under the policy, students are required to make content accommodation requests during the first two weeks of the semester unless the student could not have known of the conflict during that time. Denial of a content accommodation request may be appealed to the Dean who will only overturn an instructor’s decision if it was arbitrary and capricious.

Resources:[n.b. these files will likely appear in your Downloads file on your computer if you clickthrough the links listed here]

Must allow make up work for prior notice of official university activities, government obligations/military, religious holidays.

Accommodations Policy:

Accommodations Policy Background:

Accommodations Policy:

Accommodations Policy Review 2008:

Content Accommodation Student Request Form:

CLTE “Designing a Course Syllabus,” includes syllabus template

CTLE “Syllabus Checklist,” sample language for many sections of the syllabus and relevant policy numbers

Policy 6-100: Instruction and Evaluation:

Policy 6-400: Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities (“Student Code”):

WLC offers language testing resources to students for a variety of needs, including: 

  • Testing into the correct course for their language level (1010, 1020, 2010, 2020, or 3000+ level). Results can take 1-2 weeks, so if it’s close to the start of the semester, see instructions below. 
  • Fulfilling their BA Language Requirement by testing into the 3000+ level and 1) taking a 3000+ level class, passing with a C-/CR or higher grade, or 2) purchasing the lower-division credits (up to 16) to fulfill the BA Language Requirement without having to take a language class 
  • Purchasing lower-division language credits (up to 16) to add to their overall credit requirement  

Emergency Placement testing: If a student cannot get their results back before the first two weeks of the semester, they can do an emergency placement. Have them email for instructions.  

Instructions for students on how to take a Language Placement Test can be found here. 

The WLC Department offers in-house Language Placement Tests for Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish. 

For all other languages, please have the student contact to explain their language background and figure out next steps for placement into a WLC course or fulfilling their BA Language Requirement.  

Graduate students are not permitted to enroll in undergraduate level (1000-4999) courses. However, many graduate students (from the WLC department and throughout the university) are not at a level high enough to enroll in a graduate seminar.  

In order to make it so these students can still take an undergraduate level language class but maintain their enrollment under a graduate number, we have these students register under a 7300 number (e.g. KOREA 7300). The 7300 course will be cross listed with the undergraduate course that the student is attending. 

In order for a graduate student to enroll in a 7300 number, they must email to request a permission code.  

You should treat 7300 students the same as undergrad students, even if they are enrolled for fewer than 4 credits. Some may be enrolled in 1-3 credits because of graduate funding constraints. You will submit grades for the graduate students under the 7300 section they are enrolled in. We will forward directions for how to cross-list these courses in Canvas if you are not sure how.

In a Canvas course site, there are two places to view the roster of site participants: the People page and the Photo Roster.  Both lists are updated four times per day with any changes coming from the Registrar's enrollment database. 


The People page displays basic information about the participants in your course.

The page is designed with global settings at the top of the page, with tabs for Everyone and any Groups you have created  followed by the generated user data in the body of the page. The sidebar also includes additional settings to access user information.  

For very large classes, you can use the Search function to locate specific participants or to restrict the display to a particular role (student, TA, auditor, etc.).

Managing Participants

On the far right of each participant's row, you'll find a gear icon that provides options for managing users' status in the class and for tracking a user's activities in the site:

Important:Do NOT select the "Remove From Course" option, since this will also delete all of the participants' data from the site. If you need to block a participant's access, please select "Deactivate User" instead, which will not result in loss of the student data. 

Additional information on the functions of the People page is available in Canvas Help

Photo Roster

The Photo Roster tool provides additional information about students in your class, including:

  • Official student ID photo
  • Graduating class year
  • Academic major
  • Email address
  • UNID

Instructors should be able to view the participant information, including the ID photos. Other administrators in the course site will not be able to see the photos, and students do not see any information in the tool at all.  The UNID number (SID) is provided to help identify students whose preferred name is different from their legal name in the Registrar's systems. Canvas always displays the preferred name as a default. The UNID may be useful when entering final grades into the Registrar's grade submission application: although there may be a difference in the name, the student's UNID will be consistent across systems.

A print view of the Photo Roster is available, as is the ability to hide the student names (if you want to test your own memory).

Most WLC courses are available to students without needing a permission code (with the exception of ARAB, CHIN, JAPAN, and KOREA, if the students do not meet the pre-requisites). Permission codes are required to enter ALL classes after the end of the first week of the semester.  

As an instructor in the WLC Department, you are responsible for giving out permission codes as needed to students. Be sure that you want the student in the class before giving a permission code, because once they have the permission code they may register and do not have to drop the class for any reason. Permission codes override the class being full, any waitlist that exists, the student having a time conflict with another class, and the student not having the proper background/prerequisites to succeed in the course, among other circumstances.  

 In order to access the permission codes (which are unique to your class and section) you will access a uBox folder. You will be notified via Umail once the uBox folder has been populated with the next semester’s permission codes. Reasons to give a student a permission code can include: 

  • The student is registering after the first week of the semester  
  • The course is already full, and the instructor would like the student to be able to add the course if there is no waitlist option or if the instructor would like the student to bypass the waitlist 
  • The student is an undergraduate registering for a graduate-level course 

Each permission code is unique and once it is used by a student, it cannot be used again. Only give out one permission code per student. If the student has a problem using the permission code and is not able to register, they can: 

  • Get another permission code from you (you can try to give them another unused permission code in case that works) 
  • Contact our to troubleshoot 
  • Contact the Registrar’s Office 

For more information on Permission Codes, see: 

Teaching Resources

If you are a Full-time Instructor you will receive a Username No. by the Administrative Manager in order to access the Scanner/Copier. Part-time Instructors must request copies/scanning from Front Office Staff.

Leaving Copies in the basket

  • Fill out the ½ sheet of paper with directions about your copies
  • Front Desk Assistants will leave the copies in your box for you to pick up later in the day.

Self Scanning 

  • Enter Username No.
  • Select the “Scan” icon
  • Select “Address Book” & look for your name
  • Press “Ok” on the top right-hand corner
  • Optional: enter a name for the file under “Subject”
  • Press “Ok” on the top right-hand corner
  • Scanning options:
    • Single papers can be scanned through the document feeder
      • If the paper is double-sided you must do the following:
        • Select “Original” on the lower left-hand side
        • Select “2-sided booklet”
        • Press “Ok” on the top right-hand side
    • All books, paper smaller than 8 ½ by 11, & pictures use the document scanner
  • Press “Start” until you finish scanning all your documents
  • Once you are finished, select “Read-End”

Self Copying 

  • Enter Username No.
  • Select the “copy” icon Copy options:
    • Single papers can be copied through the document feeder
      • If the paper is double-sided you must do the following
        • Select “Original” on the lower left-hand side
        • Select “2-sided booklet”
        • Press “Ok” on the top right-hand side
    • All books, paper smaller than 8 ½ by 11, & pictures use the document scanner
    • Press “Start” until you finish scanning all your documents
    • Once you are finished, select “Read-End”

Most classrooms on campus only have AV inputs without cords. Instructors must bring the appropriate cable / adaptor with them. You may check out equipment such as HDMI cables and adaptors from the department front desk or the Marriott Library.


  1. Locate the HDMI port on the TV.
  2. Acquire a cable that fits the ports on both devices.
  3. Connect the cable from one device's HDMI port to the other.
  4. Use the Source or Input button on the TV to switch to the port.
  5. Configure video and audio on the device if needed.

Mac Laptop

  1. Using a department laptop, make sure to log out of all websites, email logins, etc.
  2. Please make sure to return laptop fully charged

The following discovery tools can help get you started in thinking about course goals and textbooks:

  • Read the course description in the U of U catalog
  • Check your department or previous U of U Class Schedules for past syllabi
  • Look at similar courses across the Utah System of Higher Education (USHE)
  • Talk to other teachers. Find out what book they use, why, and what price they negotiated 
  • Come by the Faculty Center for a Textbook Advisor 
    • Popular textbooks at the U of U and across disciplines will be on display for browsing and checkout

While looking at how other people have described or taught the class, jot down a couple of keywords and use them to consult library and information resources to find content to fit your course:

  • Textbook information from the Campus Store Faculty Center
  • List of what the U of U Libraries provide access to
  • Content available in the world's libraries
  • Ask your U of U library faculty and staff and Campus Store buyers to provide information on new textbooks or other published works being produced
  • Request that the library purchase content

Once you've got a title in mind, use Book Review Index Plus to find a review and use Vital Source to order a review copy

The Department currently oversees two language labs, a faculty meeting room, seminar room, and a conference room, which you may have access to reserve. The DiBona Language labs are two computer labs that are equipped with computers, headsets, and audiovisual equipment and located adjacent to the Department’s front office. The labs seat approximately 30 students each.

The Faculty Meeting room (LNCO 1945) is a large meeting room used primarily for the purpose department-wide meetings. The room is available for events that do not conflict with departmental business. The Seminar Room (LNCO 1950) is a small classroom/computer lab. The room has 8 computers and a small classroom table that seats six. The small conference room (LNCO 1426) sits behind the front desk area and is available for one-on-one consultations with students.

To reserve the rooms, go to the WLC homepage and click on “Directory” then “Faculty Resources”, then select the desired room under "Room Reservations". Review the calendar to ensure that the date is available, then fill out the form to request a reservation. Read the guidelines as you are responsible for cleaning the room after its use.


The Marriott Library also has computer labs that may be reserved, if the DiBona labs are not available.

To reserve online, go to , select “Calendar” for the room you are interested in, and complete the requested information.

The Center for Teaching & Learning Excellence offers a myriad of services for instructors with an emphasis on best pedagogical practices and strategies for teaching in higher education.

All CTLE services are confidential.


Meet with a CTLE consultant to discuss how to incorporate best pedagogical practices and strategies into your teaching.

Curriculum Review and Mapping
CTLE consultants will work with curriculum committees to review and map your curriculum.

Departmental Workshop
A CTLE consultant will facilitate a workshop on a teaching topic of your choice for your department faculty/instructors.

Syllabus/Course Review
Meet with a CTLE consultant to review and provide you with feedback on your teaching materials (course syllabus, teaching philosophy, CV).


In-Class Observation
Request a CTLE consultant to observe your teaching during one of your class sessions. You can also request to have your observation video recorded. After the observation, the consultant will meet with you to discuss feedback and suggestions for improvement. Written and electronic feedback will be provided for your teaching portfolio, which you may also include in your RPT.

Canvas Course Review
CTLE provides feedback for your Canvas course, including observing your course design and learner interaction. After the observation, you’ll meet with the CTLE consultant to discuss feedback and review online teaching resources and best practices for online pedagogy.


Gathering Student Feedback is valuable for identifying areas for instructional improvement. Many instructors have found that simple changes can help motivate students and enhance student learning. Students appreciate the fact that the instructor values their opinions.

In-Class Student Feedback
A CTLE consultant facilitates a focus group about what is going well in your course and what could be improved. Afterward, you’ll meet with the consultant to discuss student feedback and resources for the refinement of your teaching practices.

Online Student Feedback
A qualitative survey will be administered to your students online. After the one-week feedback period closes, you will receive the compiled student feedback via email.

Program Evaluation/Student Focus Group
A CTLE consultant conducts a focus group to gather student feedback regarding your program. After the focus group, the transcribed responses will be emailed to you.

If you have any questions, please contact CTLE at 801-581-7597 or .


Teaching & Learning Technologies offers a number of services related to the availability and use of portable audiovisual technologies and equipment, including HDMI, USB, and A/V Cables. Portable A/V Equipment is available for classrooms and events. You may reserve and checkout portable A/V equipment. The TLT Service Desk is located at the Marriott Library Faculty Center, Suite 1705.

Any technology or related equipment that has a cost associated with them needs to be cleared with the Department’s administrative manager. A list of all technology can be found online at The center can be contact at 801-581-6112 Opt. 1 or via email at 

In general, all course dates, times, and locations are locked in six months prior to the start of the semester. Only under extenuating circumstances will permanent changes to your course be considered, such as an injury or lack of space. Requests for changes must be submitted to the Department’s Associate Chair, Tanya Flores, along with the following information: Reason for the request, current classroom conditions, and requested accommodation need.

If you are scheduled for a course in a future semester, please contact the Associate Chair with the information listed previously. Please be aware that some departments control usage of certain classrooms that the University’s scheduling office has no oversight, and that it is at their discretion about how that classroom is booked.

For temporary requests, such as the need for a computer lab or auditorium, please contact a member of the administrative team for assistance.

By signing a contract with the department, you agree to abide by the policies, procedures, and code of conduct at the University ( Likewise, students must adhere to a Student Code of Conduct (

If you or members of your class feel a threat to you or your students’ safety please call Campus Public Safety (911 or non-life-threatening (801) 585-2677). Please also notify the Department Chair regarding the incident.

For classroom disagreements with a student that you are unable to resolve please notify the Director of Undergraduate Studies and Department Chair. Document the facts behind the conflict, the action/behavior involved, what your response was, and note the time and any helpful information.

If the student is unsatisfied with your attempts to remedy the classroom situation they should be directed to contact the Department Chair for further remedial action.

Sexual harassment is not tolerated at the University of Utah. With regards to students in your course, policy Policy 1-020 states, “No University Representative including any faculty member, course instructor, athletics coach, advisor, mentor, or preceptor, may engage in a sexual or romantic relationship with a current student.”

If you are uncertain about whether you are experiencing sexual OR any other type of harassment, are hesitant to tell the person you are uncomfortable with his/her behavior, or if efforts to stop a problem have not worked, contact the Office of Equal Opportunity (801-581-8365) or the Office of the Dean of Students (801-581-7066). These are the University offices that may conduct an impartial investigation to determine what occurred and then take appropriate steps to resolve the situation.

Dean of Students - Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT)

With students facing high levels of stress in their lives, faculty and staff may encounter students whose behaviors are concerning, disruptive, or threatening towards themselves or others. In an effort to respond to the safety needs of the campus, the University Of Utah has established the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT).

What does BIT Do?

BIT’s primary function is to help keep the university community safe and connect distressed students to support services. BIT seeks to act preventatively versus reactionary to students in distress. In doing this, BIT:

  • Gathers and manages reported information from concerned faculty and staff
  • Assesses the level of threat a student’s behavior poses
  • Intervenes with students and connects them to support services
  • Provides faculty and staff with support and intervention resources
  • Makes referrals to the Dean of Students or Student Conduct Officer
  • Disseminates relevant information to Campus Police

Who Is On The Team?

BIT is housed in the Office of the Dean of Students and consists of a team of professionals from several university units. BIT Leadership consists of a BIT Team Chair, Montelleo Hobley, Jr., and a Case Manager.

Other members of the Behavioral Intervention Team Include: University Police Department, Housing & Residential Education, University Counseling Center, Center for Disability & Access, International Student & Scholar Services, Office of General Counsel, Center for Student Wellness, Faculty Partners, Office of Equal Opportunity.

What should I include in my report? Provide as much information as possible about the individual.  Along with a description of the incident or behavior, include as much of the following as you can.

  • Student, faculty or staff member’s name and ID number (if known)
  • Direct quotes whenever possible.
  • Where and when the incident or behavior occurred.
  • Names and contact information of witnesses.
  • Your name, position and complete contact information.
  • Include all emails or other information you have.
  • Always save voice recordings, text messages and emails on the device that received them. 

If you would like to advertise your course to students you can choose to do so via print advertisement, social media, or targeted emails. 

For print advertisement, make sure to contact the Administrative Manager prior to ordering/printing any fliers. The administrative manager will need to verify the budget for printing resources prior to your ordering. Any flier or poster must have University approval with an accompanying stamp in order to be posted on campus bulletin boards. After having your fliers printed, leave with the Executive Secretary at the front desk for them to be approved and put up around campus. 

If you would like to have a poster made for your course by the College of Humanities Graphic Designer, you will need to submit a “Graphic Design Request” form, which you can find at the bottom of The turnaround time for a flier should be approximately 2 weeks, so make sure to plan accordingly. 

Once you have some kind of flier for your course, please send it to the Executive Secretary for the information to be posted on the department’s social media. 

If you would like to have your course information or a course flier sent out to students who are in the major/minor your class is in, please send it to Depending on the course, the advisors can send your course information to specific language sections or everyone who is a WLC major. 

Please talk with the Director of Undergraduate Studies regarding issues with the following:

  • Curriculum bureaucracy
  • Student complaints
  • Faculty complaints
  •  Scholarships
  • Syllabus & policies
  • Mandatory reporting - responsible employee - sexual misconduct - report to title IX coordinator
  • New diversity/equity - must use preferred names/pronouns
  • Must have ADA & Title IX
  • Accommodations - ADA, sports, debate, religious, etc.
  • Content warnings -images of nudity, sexuality, etc.
  • Mental health concerns
  • Cheating, plagiarism, grade complaints

WLC Department Staff Contacts:

Last Updated: 9/11/23